Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Homemade Cleaning Product$$

In the last few months, in response to a documentary Todd and I watched, I decided to make my own laundry soap and fabric softener.  I can attest that they work.  Now, you don't get that "Gain freshness" or Snuggle scent that I know so many of you are addicted to, as I was.  And I haven't figured out the cost-effectiveness of it exactly.  But I know I haven't bought clothes soap or fabric softener since April, and that's with at least one to two loads of laundry everyday.  Not to mention pool towels at our new house.

So here's my list of recipes and experiences with each:


  1. Homemade Laundry Detergent/Liquid:
    This is the recipe I used the very first time I made homemade laundry detergent.  For some reason, however, I failed to see the "1/3 bar of Fels Naptha" and used the ENTIRE bar.  Yes my mixture had a different consistency.  It made a LOT.. like at least 2/3 of one of those enormous kitty litter containers.  This resulted in at least 4 refills of a large Purex bottle.  I did not have to remake this concoction until we set up our washer and dryer the second week of June.
    It worked great.. clothes were clean, and the Fels-Naptha has a faint Ivory Soap smell.
    Again, my concoction was a bit lumpy, obviously due to the extreme amount of Fels-Naptha.

    For my second batch of laundry detergent, I sincerely didn't have the gumption to simmer a bar of soap on the stove and make the concoction and let it sit for 24 hours.  So I decided to try the dry mixture.
  2. Homemade Laundry Detergent/Powder:
    SO here is the recipe I used to make a quick batch of laundry soap.  Again, couldn't wait the 24 hours to let it thicken. This worked good.. I used about 1 1/2 TBLS per load (used a big green scooper that came with Miracle Gro that we had saved for some reason).  Used a little more for bigger loads.
  3. Homemade Fabric Softener:
    This is my absolute favorite, as it floors me how simple ingredients can work the same as something I have spent as much money on as fabric softener.  And it is so easy to remake when you run out!  I use Suave conditioner... I have used the coconut scent and the ocean breeze scent.  You can honestly barely smell the scent of the conditioner, so it really doesn't matter what scent you choose.  I added some lavender oil that I had, and it added a bit of scent, but really not much.  And it works well, for the most part.  On occasion I pull something out of the dryer and I hear static cling.

    Again, with all three of these, there is really not a strong scent to the laundry at all.  The clothes just smell clean, which how do you define "clean smell".  As Todd has said, that means "not stinky". :)  He's super sensitive to smells, and no complaints from him so far. :)


    Here are a few more things I have either made homemade or want to try:
  4. Homemade floor cleaner:
    So we have wood floors in our living room, and I bought some special stuff to clean those with.  (I am kind of scared to try anything homemade on those yet.)  So my living room had an awesome light almond scent, and the kitchen needed mopping.  All that I had was lavender scented Lysol cleaner, which is super strong.  So I decided to look up how to make my own.  Again, I added some of that lavender oil to the mix, and it was just a very light scent of lavender and the floors were clean.
    NOTE:  Scroll down to where it says "mop and bucket".  That's the recipe I used.  I plan on making the homemade all-purpose cleaner once I get an empty spray bottle.
  5. Homemade dishwasher detergent:
    This is one I have not yet tried, but I am running low on dishwasher detergent so I will make it probably this afternoon.
  6. Other homemade cleaning products:
    This is a Pinterest board I found with lots of other ideas.
    I am headed to the dishwasher after I hit "publish" on this post to fill the "Jet Dry" holder with vinegar!

    I am telling you, I never imagined that I could use a huge bottle of vinegar for so much!
    Also, Borax!  I used Borax last week as a carpet stain remover... we need to just cover Camryn's room in plastic, with all of her art projects.  I followed the directions on the Borax box and it worked like a dream!  (Note:  not ALL of the paint came up, but almost all did. Red Acrylic paint that had been there for at least a week.)

    Enjoy and let me know how these work out for you!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome...always have wanted to try to make my own. What is the documentary...would like to check it out...is it because of the toxicity?? We try to use all plant-based products- but it's tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that vinegar is used in almost everything, except the clothes soap. Natural method for mildew, bacteria, etc.

    ReplyDelete